Of elders and the young
Take a look at this well written article by @cyberomin and come back if you don't mind.
Our people say "what an old man can see sitting down, a young man cannot see even if he climbs the tallest baobab".
In my opinion, This is true. And false at the same time.
The experience of an older person while good, also creates a bias. A bias that distorts her from seeing what may be possible. And the exuberance of youth creates the adventure that leads to discovery.
Unfortunately, no matter how we all speak English and argue and agree (or not), in this life, the older will continue to try to point the younger in a direction and the younger will continue to resist. Maybe 80% of the time, the older dude would be right, but with the remaining 20%, the younger folks will create truly inspiring outcomes that help the race/industry/whatever take another quantum leap forward.
I remember my mum insisting I get a job or enroll in a graduate program after I finished Uni with a bone-headed 3rd class in electrical engineering. I resisted saying I just needed capital from my parents to get my software business off the ground. Her argument was that I can always do that later after I build experience and a network.
She was right.
After hustling for a bit and not being able to get the business to work, I have since taken her advice and I dare say what I have learnt so far is invaluable. Maybe I even built a little rep for myself along the way. Not too shabby.
But then, she was also wrong. Kindof.
If I had dug in and gotten that business off the ground with her support, I MAY have had an early entry into today's opportunities and be closer to my end game than I am now.
At the end of the day, both sides of the table will continue to debate, because that's the stuff life is made of.